I’m here to share the good news of WordPress with you. You don’t have to spend a lot of money to create a top level web presence for your practice. Too many physician practices put this off because they think it takes a massive investment to achieve the look of the best medical websites. It definitely can. But it doesn’t have to.
Below is a run-down of the costs you might encounter when you create a medical website from scratch or update an old, outdated one.
- A domain name – $12 per year
- Hosting – $5 to $30 per month or more, depending on your specific needs; most medical practices will be fine on the low end of this range.
- WordPress – Free
- Genesis and a Child Theme – around $80, one time. These web themes will make your site look fantastic!
- Lots of WordPress Plugins – Free
- Twitter – Free
- Facebook – Free
- LinkedIn – Free
- BufferApp – Free
- MailChimp – Free – this allows you to create an email list of individuals who want to hear what you have to say.
Money You Don’t Have to Spend
You might be tempted to spend big money on a couple of things, but they are probably unnecessary, at least for now:
- A Web Developer. Some of the top developers out there have created the Studiopress Genesis Framework and Child Themes for WordPress. These themes are beautiful and incredibly functional just as they are, and they offer everything the best medical websites do. Theses a much cheaper option than designing a new website from scratch. As you grow, a web developer will be happy to work with the Genesis foundation you have in place.
- A Graphic Designer. I think graphic designers are very important and the internet would be much less fun if it weren’t for them. But a perfect logo doesn’t make your practice great. You, being great at what you do, make your practice great. When you start out, I recommend using the built in logo in the StudioPress theme you choose. However, if you have a specific idea of the style that fits your business, you can hire a great graphic designer to create the perfect logo for you.
- Search Engine Optimization. You are doing your own SEO by creating content that your customers will benefit from. Use the built-in Genesis SEO or the Free Yoast SEO Plugin to be sure that your content is optimized, and call it good. Google continues to change their algorithm toward rewarding great content. It also invests a lot of time in rooting out “SEO experts” who are trying to game the system. Play this straight and you will end up ahead.
How to Get Started
If these numbers have convinced you to finally just get it done, here are the first few steps you need to take:
- Set up a web hosting service. We like Bluehost, but there are many out there that do a great job.
- Set up your domain name on the host.
- Set up WordPress on that domain and get your login credentials for your WordPress dashboard.
- Purchase the website theme of your choosing at StudioPress. Don’t forget you need the Genesis theme in addition to any other theme you choose.
- Follow the theme set up instructions that StudioPress offers to get going.
So there you go. You really don’t have to spend a lot of money to create a great web presence. Refreshing right?
Need some help getting started? Get in touch with us. We can offer some words of advice as you get started, or you can hire us to do the work for you. Either way, we will be happy to help.
Go treat yourself to your favorite indulgence with all the money you just saved!*Some links are affiliate links and CB Medical Marketing may receive a payment if you make a purchase through those links.